Aberrant Ceramics features hand-made sculptural
and collaged clay objects by Aaron Nosheny. The clay work ranges from interpretations of geek culture icons, replicas of odd life forms real and imaginary, hand-built pottery with sculptural elements, and Judaica.  It is my great joy to produce these eclectic clay monstrosities.  I also love to send them out into the world.
I sell my work in the gallery at Tucson Clay Co-op.  I also sell through my Etsy shop.

Most of my work on this blog and on other sites is for sale.  If you see something you like, please contact me and I'll list it on Etsy. If it's already sold and you are interested in commissioning something similar, please contact me and we can work out the details.

Commissions are always welcome and I'm happy to discuss options to fit any budget.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Driving Wands For Defense Against Aggressive Drivers

This was one of my earlier experiments with functional ceramics.  I made four of these objects called driving wands in 2008 or 2009.  The idea was to use them for defense against aggressive drivers.  They had grotesque faces and I hoped they would stun angry drivers with their confusing glares.  I never tried one because I was afraid it might make aggressive drivers more aggressive instead of leave them in a confused stupor.

1.  Toothy Grin Driving Wand

2.   Floating Blue Driving Wand.  Floating blue glaze comes out brownish when applied lightly.

3.  Bulging Eyes Driving Wand.  This one's handle broke off in the kiln.

4.  Piggy Driving Wand.  I gave this one away and this is the only image I have of it.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Eye Cup #19 WIP

I'm attempting to produce as many as these cups as possible for my next firing.  The only reason I think they're worth posting as works in progress is because it gives me a date reference so I can decide when they're dry enough.

Eye Cup #19 has twelve eyes and a central mouth.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Princess Di's Arm

I recently participated in a mold-making and mold-pouring workshop.  This is the result.  The pottery studio received an incomplete set of commercially produced molds of body parts for a Princess Di doll.  The cat head mold I had made wasn't ready at the time, so I made a Princess Di arm. 

I painted it black and now it's living with the basil outside.

So far, my cat head mold has not produced any cat heads:

Friday, April 11, 2014

Eye Cup WIP With Eyes and Weed

This is Eye Cup #18.  I had some difficulty fitting all the eyes and leaves into an organized pattern so the pattern is not so neat.  Also, the handle came out a little weird.  I hope it's able to support the cup.

Seated Cthulhu #1

A few months ago I received a commission for a seated Cthulhu and was given this as an idea of what he wanted.  This was what I came up with and then decided I couldn't sell it for the $20 budget of the commission and made a second one that I felt fit the price better (not an inferior piece, but less detailed).

This is based on a design for a papercraft Cthulhu by paper engineer Phillip Fickling.

Lovecraft's original Elder Sign is inscribed on the sides and August Derleth's version is on the back.  There is also some mysterious fake lettering on the front:


Monday, April 7, 2014

Cockroach Cup 2

This is the second of my set of two mugs with a cockroach on the inside bottom.  

Eye Cup #13

Eye Cup #13, with four large molded eyes and glazed in four overlapping sections:

Eye Cup 17 WIP

This is Eye Cup #17.  I had an experience a few days ago in which I started to make a few new cups and then got frustrated with the handles and tore them down.  I would normally be disturbed by this (although it was a minimal time investment and no clay was wasted), but this seems to happen at the beginning of every build cycle.  I rebuilt the two cups last night and realized I could form them from one large slab of clay rather than strips of slabs as I've been doing up to now.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Small Chamsas With Metallic Paints

I had a bowl of unfinished one-inch chamsas leftover from last year.  I bought some metallic acrylic paints and finished painting them.